Monday, October 12, 2009

About Me(3): Have a PharmD and PhD-Why not an MBA too?

During the last post, I forgot to mention a small detail. While I was slaving away in the lab and trying to stay on top of my pharmacy course work and rotations, I also did an executive MBA at the Citadel in Charleston, SC.

I loved science, but have never been excited about the lifestyle that a scientist lives. I hated having cells and animals control my life. Unfortunately, the cells didn't know it was Saturday...they still needed to be fed. The cells didn't even know when it was Easter and still needed to be fed. My wife hated the lab and I hated that she hated the lab.

While this is a sweeping generalization, I also came to realize that most scientists are not rich. My boss was rich, but everyone that worked for him was not. A starting assistant professor at MUSC made $55K a year (less than half of what a pharmacist made).

My father, the CEO of a large horticulture company, has always known what is best in business at any given time and would send me books to read on a number of business topics. While I used to think my time may have been better spent working in the lab, I always read the books he sent. Sitting by the pool reading the Jim Collins books "Built to Last" and "Good to Great" or Eliyahu Goldratt's "The Goal" made made me realize that I loved business too!

I decided that in the long term, I didn't want to be a pharmacist and I didn't want to be a scientist...in short, I didn't want to do any of the things I had spent so long in school learning to become....so I got an MBA.

People with an MBA can do anything, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment